10.10.2010

BP5_iWeb

My action research project feels so rough and I'm still so confused. I've recently felt like it is just too much to have on my plate...even asking my wife today, "can I just quit?"   Of course her answer is: "No,we need that pay raise and you need to find some motivation in your job!" Shucks.   So what I want to focus my action research project on is connecting with more of our student's families, and providing opportunities for them to access the resources I have that might help their family flourish.  There is still such a stigma with "counseling" and most families fear me and see me only as someone that teaches kids all the things that families are doing wrong with the goal of removing students from unhealthy homes. That is the last thing my job is!  Well, it is my job to keep kids and families safe and healthy, but I realize life can be hard and everyone goes through rough patches and learning from their mistakes...our mistakes. I have so many resources and interventions, but between the stigma that keeps families away, language or cultural barriers, and busy schedules that don't allow for them to access me during the school day those resources don't get to the families that need them. I need to find a way to reach them, or more of them at least.  My first efforts will involve creating a website through iWeb that is available to anyone.  iWeb is such an easy, straightforward and attractive tool that will allow me to layer a site that is appropriate for families, students, teachers and our community.  I hope to have links to the parenting sites and resources I've found useful, online games that are educational and build on the social/emotional growth of kids, and career related experiential games.  We also have so many community resources available for families that are victims or homelessness, domestic violence,  extracurricular activities, and countless other areas that are affecting families.  I'm unclear about whether or not my district will approve this, but I will do my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment